Friday, May 8, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie Casserole


This recipe is a composite a few recipes that I looked at and I kind of made it up :) It turned out really yummy! I just did a top crust which is why I called it a casserole.

For the crust:
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup light mayonnaise (not miracle whip)
About 1/4 cup cold water

Mix flour, salt, and mayo together in medium mixing bowl.  Add water slowly, working dough with your hands until ball forms.  Don't overwork.  I chilled for about an hour but I don't know if this is necessary. Roll out to the size of your baking dish. Crust will be fairly thick depending on size of baking dish.

For the filling:

1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 cus chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
Salt
Pepper
You can use a can of cream of chicken soup or use the substitute that I used:

For substitute cream of chicken
1 can fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup flour (more if you want your sauce thicker)
2 tbsp butter (I used Earth Balance dairy free)
Half can of light coconut milk (I had some so I used it, Not sure if necessary)
Salt
Pepper

In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add flour to form a roux.  Add chicken broth and simmer until thickens.  Add coconut milk and continue to simmer for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.

In a large pan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil for 3-4 minutes.  Add carrots and celery.  Cover and allow to cook for a few minutes. Add cream of chicken soup or alternate that you have set aside.  Add frozen peas and chicken and allow to simmer for a few minutes.  Pour filling into baking dish and cover with crust. Cut slits in crust and cook at 350-375 degrees for 35 minutes (I started out at 350 for 20 minutes and then turned it up and cooked it for another 15 minutes) or until crust is light brown and filling bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment